grub-devel

Re: Big Endian fix patch

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Big Endian fix patch
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:52:52 -0400

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 07:58:01PM -0400, Doug Nazar wrote:
> It is an ISO image. That's what has me steamed. I'm not sure how I'm
> still getting errors. First I was doing a Gentoo install but there were
> a few too many decisions I wasn't sure about for PPC and I was having
> problems cross-compiling some packages. So I grabbed an Ubuntu image and
> it would randomly error out on different packages. I'm not too familiar
> with Ubuntu but finally figured out how to nfs mount the image over the
> cdrom mount point. Then found that adding extra drives caused the
> openbios aliases to change and the boot command wouldn't work with the
> full paths. After checking the openbios source found it ignores
> boot-device, boot-file etc. so I ended up open-coding the boot-command
> as a load & go to get grub to boot.

I have booted Debian powerpc on qemu before without any issues.
It just worked.  Well initially the install couldn't boot because it
was using quik at the time (oldworld mac emulation), and the ramdisk
image was too large for quik.  I fixed quik to support larger ramdisks
(and ext3 and such just by using a new libe2fs which also broke it).

> Yes, I definitely need some new toys....<sigh>

Well we needed a faster build server for powerpc and the MPC8315 350MHz
with 128MB ram really wasn't doing it.  A dual core 4.2Ghz Power6+
with 4GB ram will be a lot better.

>> So with my patch I am booting of the md raid1 very successfully (other
>> than manually having to fix grub-mkimage run since grub-install doesn't
>> understand the machine yet.  I am working on fixing that now.)
> I didn't have a big problem with grub-mkimage. Used the command
> ./grub-mkimage -O powerpc-ieee1275 -d . -o grubof.modules -p
> "(/pci/ata-io/ata-3/address@hidden,4)/" *.mod

Without a devalias, grub can't find ANY disks on the IBM firmware.
With a devalias created, it works fine.  I suppose this qualifies as a
bug in grub.

> My biggest issue was cross-compiling grub. A couple commands are host
> run so I had to borrow a copy from my x86 tree. Would there be any
> interest in extending grub to do this automatically?

Well I haven't had to do that.

> (Although re-reading your sentence I think you meant "having to run
> grub-mkimage manually"....)

Yes, since grub-install sure didn't do it right.  It has no clue how an
IBM powerpc works.

> Yeah, I'd noticed that some of the original code didn't do this, but I
> didn't want to make changes to it until I had a test environment.
>
> I just finished building my test arrays. It consists of 13 partitions
> used to build 4 arrays with a combination of metadata types, raid types,
> & spares. Then building an lvm on top of that. I'll start running some
> tests and randomly failing some members.
>
> Does grub display correctly on the p520? I'm having display issues
> (looks like the lines are too long) and I'm not sure yet if it's grub or
> openbios. Also, a current version of openbios doesn't just drop in to
> QEMU.

It is not too bad.  I haven't noticed anything too awful in the display.
It messes up a lot when it starts scrolling the screen though, so I have
to 'clear' and then continue to keep it legible.  The menu looks fine.

--
Len Sorensen