grub-devel

Re: grub2 on power6 box.

From: Manoel Rebelo Abraches
Subject: Re: grub2 on power6 box.
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:28:55 -0300

On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 11:39 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 09:57:37AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 07:56:27AM +0200, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder'
> > Serbinenko wrote:

> > > You need to add -p "<your /boot/grub in grub notation>". Also avoid the
> > > raid and lvm-related modules you don't need. OFW exposes ghost devices
> > > so assembling raids which involves looking at all devices is slow
> >
> > I will try that (although I think I did).
> >
> > I can't even get it to do ls on any disk or anything.  It really seems
> > to be behaving as if it doesn't detect any disks.
>
> So I fixed ofpathname (it was not working because it did find /sys -name
> $device, which mathes multiple things on modern kernels).  I changed the
> find to find /sys -type d -name $device and now that works.  So now I
> can run grub-install, but of course that just creates a /boot/grub/grub
> file with the main grub and a filesystem module attached.  It doesn't
> actually boot.
>
> It set the
> boot_device=/address@hidden/pci1014,address@hidden/sas/address@hidden:4,\grub
>
> /dev/sda4 is a fat16 partition mounted as /boot/grub.  Unfortunately I
> am not convinced the IBM boxes know how to read filesystems or boot
> files.  It seems it only wants to read raw from a PReP boot partition.
OF can read FAT12 filesystem.
you could format it with fat 12 and then mount it at /boot/grub.
then you can use grub-install and grub-mkconfig to create a grub.cfg
 I think the easiest way  is to set a devalias in OF to point to you
device:
devalias hd /address@hidden/pci1014,address@hidden/sas/address@hidden
then it should appear when you use the 'ls' command.
you could also set boot-device to
hd:<parnumber>,grub
since OF can read FAT12 filesystem it will be able to find grub there.

--
Best Regards,

Manoel Rebelo Abranches
Software engineer