grub-devel

grub2 on power6 box.

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: grub2 on power6 box.
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:23:26 -0400

I am trying to use grub2 to boot an IBM p520 power6 box.  I know yaboot
can do the job, but it doesn't deal with software raid, ext4, LVM or
anything else useful.

I have managed to get as far as booting to a grub prompt from disk.
Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be seeing any disks at that point.

The way I got it this far was to create an 8MB (smallest cfdisk would
make) PReP boot partition, and then run grub-mkimage -n -o /tmp/grub -O
powerpc-ieee1275 *.mod in the ieee1275 grub directory.  I then dd'd
/tmp/grub to /dev/sda1 (the PReP boot partition).

At boot, the firmware loads the partition and runs it and after a few
seconds I get a grub prompt.

I know I don't need all the modules, but starting with all of them
seemed simpler.

So is this supposed to work, or is there still some ofpath handling
or other things that have to be fixed before grub2 can detect disks on
this machine?  If so, I will try to do it, but some hints would be handy.
It certainly looks very close to working.

Thanks.

--
Len Sorensen