grub-devel

Re: ZFS on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: ZFS on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:56:25 -0700 (PDT)

Quoting Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko, who wrote the following on...:

On 07/21/2010 01:22 PM, Tuco wrote:
Hello

I've been doing some experiments with ZFS on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. My
goal is to setup ZFS as root filesystem. I setup the ZFS tools in
Debian with some tricks (my blog has detail about them:
http://tucobsd.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-enable-zfs-on-debian-gnukfreebsd.html),
but when trying to install GRUB in a ZFS filesystem I run into
trouble:

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is
/dev mounted?).

I checked the command run by grub-install; in a normal (UFS) system
this command prints /dev/ad0s2.

Is this a known problem? Should I investigate? Can you give some guideline?

Yes it is. ZFS is in separate repo and isn't added to grub_probe source
so it doesn't work in grub-probe.

The main problem is that the st_dev that you'll get from a call to stat() of a file on a ZFS filesystem won't match the major/minor of any device in /dev (at least on Solaris). You have to look deeper to figure out the pool name, then query the pool to figure out its devices. And if you're REALLY good, you'd invoke grub-setup for each member of a root pool mirror :).

 --S