grub-devel

[RFC] GRUB2 and braille support

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: [RFC] GRUB2 and braille support
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:08:45 +0200

Hello, all. RMLL2010 was useful for GRUB project too. On one hand it
allowed me to give a speech about it and on the other hand it has
brought new ideas. In particular with Samuel Thibault we discussed
accessibility. Mainstream color defaults are black and white which gives
good contrast and no problems for colorblind people. If distribution
changes these defaults they have to ensure that their defaults  Next
step is to help people having either vision or motor problems.
@Samuel: whcih options can we propose for people which aren't blind but
have vision problems?
It's already possible to load bigger fonts.
Now I'm working on braille support. I already coded 40x1 menu selector
and menuentry editor. For 40x1 console I need to add scrolling first.
it's in branches/a11y
I also coded FTDI and PL3203 usbserial drivers. It's in branches/usb.
Now we need the braille drivers to go in-between. I thought of importing
Linux braille drivers since they seem to be under GPLv2+. I hope that I
CC the right list for it. My plan is to have an import similar to what
we have with libgcrypt: we copy the patches verbatim and try to emulate
the environment similar to native one. If any preprocessing is needed we
have 2 directories: one with files as they are imported and another with
the files to compile. The second one is generated from the first one
with python script at autogen phase. This way we avoid forking and can
easily resync
What do you think?

--
Regards