grub-devel

Re: Avoiding best-effort

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Avoiding best-effort
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:50:08 +0200

On 07/10/2010 09:11 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There's a concern with the way grub menu entries work: even if a command
> fails, grub continues with others, like bash's "best-effort" way.  This
> leads to difficult-to-diagnose results: say for instance
>
> multiboot /boot/mykernel
> module /boot/initrd
> module /boot/inittask
>
> and initrd is too big for the memory for instance.  The actual error
> message that the user will be able to read is "rd0: no such device",
> because grub will silently ignore the initrd load failure.
>
> It'd be better to at least have a way to show the actual error.  I've
> talked a bit with phcoder, the kind of solutions we've come with are
>
> - "set -e" command, to disable best-effort

I think this is a possibility. set -e must be limited to current
menuentry. Also it's out of the question to touch internal "set" for
this. You need either a separate command (shopt ?) or use priorities.
But set -e must not be imposed on user by default because target machine
may be a server and a small error shouldn't interrupt server booting.
> - shell-like "&&" to chain commands only if they succeed
> - introduce a small delay when printing error messages, to keep best
>   effort while still showing the actual grub error.

This would be good independently of interrupting execution. Wait must be
right before executing implied "boot" command. It should also not take
into account the progress echos.