grub-devel

Re: Vendor power-on button

From: Paul Vojta
Subject: Re: Vendor power-on button
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:37:38 -0700

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:28:04AM +0200, Vladimir '?-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> On 06/20/2010 06:52 AM, Paul Vojta wrote:
> > On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 02:31:05PM +0200, Vladimir '??-coder/phcoder'
> > Serbinenko wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, all. I've just merged vendor power-on button support into
> >> mainline. Here is extract from manual:
> >>
> > [snip]
> >

> >> If you have a laptop which has a similar feature could you figure your
> >> address and contribute?
> >>
> > I have a Dell XPS M1330, and GRUB_BUTTON_CMOS_ADDRESS=85:3 works also for
> > me.
> >
> > However, I do have one question.
> >
> > I have it set up now to boot directly into Linux when I use the main
> > power-on
> > button, and I use the auxiliary button to get a boot menu, defaulting
> > to Windows.  But when I boot Windows using that button, it starts up
> > a MediaDirect setup screen (in addition to regular Windows).  Would it be
> > possible to (optionally) clear the vendor power-on button bit in the
> > cmos before booting?
> >
> Please try the attached patch. And add:
> GRUB_BUTTON_CMOS_CLEAN=yes

That didn't help (and, noticing a typo in your patch, neither did adding
GRUB_BUTTON_CMOS_CLEAN=prettyplease).

I don't know how Windows decides to start up Media Direct, but I think the
best way to solve my problem is to replace the file MDirect.exe with
something innocuous.

Anyway, thanks for trying.

--Paul Vojta, address@hidden