grub-devel

Re: Grub IA64

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Grub IA64
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:59:08 +0200

On 07/14/2010 02:39 PM, Chinces Diana wrote:
First of all HTML e-mail are annoying and bad netiquette. Please adjust
your mailer

> Hi all,
>

> We would be very interested in replacing elilo (the current Itanium
> boot loader) with grub.
>

> Could you help us with answering a few questions about this boot loader?
>
> 1.       Can you tell us if this type of architecture is supported or
> will be supported?

Tristan Gringold wrote the port and sent the patches but it was during
the unmaintained period. When Robert Millan took over he imported the
patches and port is availabale from
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/branches/ia64/ (bzr checkout).
Judging by code port looks fairly usable except module loading.
Unfortunately we have no testers so I can't say what happens if you try
to boot it. I've contacted someone from HP if I could eventually have a
IA64 workstation to finish the port.

> 2.       Is there a way in which we could contribute on making this
> happen?

Module loading. Additional loaders. And lots and lots of testing

> 3.       How does chainloading behave on network boot? Is this possible?

Chainloading is to be avoided unless really needed to. I recommend using
the native protocol (e.g. linux module for linux).
This is especially true for wacky platforms like EFI (never tested it on
IA64 but on ia32 and x64 it's PITN)