grub-devel

Re: mdadm 1.x device naming

From: martin f krafft
Subject: Re: mdadm 1.x device naming
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 18:46:06 +0200

also sprach Colin Watson <address@hidden> [2010.07.02.1513 +0200]:
> Does anyone object to this simple scheme?
>
>   /dev/md/NAME => (md/NAME)
>   all other md device name formats as before

That's what I use in the mdadm package too.

> As far as I'm aware, we don't use slashes in GRUB device names right
> now, so this is a bit novel; but I wanted to minimise the chance of
> clashes and confusion, and I don't believe using a slash should actually
> do any harm.

You could use a dash like LVM too.

And do keep in mind that named arrays still have a super-minor field
with the number, just like the 0.9 metadata ones, so you don't have
to use names. But I agree that it's better.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <address@hidden>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"common sense is the collection of prejudices
 acquired by age eighteen."
                                                    -- albert einstein