grub-devel

Re: USB Driver uhci.c legacy mode

From: jonatan perry
Subject: Re: USB Driver uhci.c legacy mode
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 21:38:49 +0300

Hello Ales,
Unfortunately, the discussed platform (Lenovo t410 laptop) includes no UHCI controller along with the EHCI, as well no BIOS USB 1.0 (UHCI) legacy support.
as I understand from the EHCI specs there are several legacy registers, named USBLEGSUP and USBLEGCTLSTS, can I assists those registers in order to achieve legacy support?
I didn't found any source code examples nor additional documentation regarding those registers.

any help would be most welcome.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Aleš Nesrsta <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 12:30 PM, jonatan perry wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am using grub2 uhci.c usb driver for testing new hardware, on some
> > occuisions the UHCI signature test fails (can be found on the PCI
> > iteration routine), the driver thest if the controller founded by PCI
> > has a signature as uhci should have (0x0c0300), on some of my new
> > hardwares the signature is as EHCI (usb 2.0) means 0x0c0302, if i
> > change the signature that the driver searches the rest of the driver
> > fails, probably because i need to activate a legacy bit in the
> > configuration register in the EHCI Controller.
> EHCI is never alone. It must always have a companion controller (UHCI or
> OHCI). Also be sure to use either bzr trunk or usb branch.

Note:
Unfortunately, according to specification, EHCI can be installed alone
(without companion UHCI or OHCI controller(s)) but it is probably very
rare computer HW configuration.
Try command "lspci" in Linux and search for lines with "USB Controller"
- if You will find EHCI only, You really have "EHCI only" computer.
But You can have some bad BIOS setting (You should enable USB 1.1
controller(s) in BIOS.).