grub-devel

Re: Which partitioning schemes should be supported by GRUB?

From: C. P. Ghost
Subject: Re: Which partitioning schemes should be supported by GRUB?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 01:03:45 +0200

2010/6/10 Grégoire Sutre <address@hidden>:
> On 06/07/2010 10:46 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>
>> There are two parts of this question:
>> 1) Which partition schemes should GRUB be able to read modules and
>> payloads from ? It's platform-indepedent
>
> Agreed.
>
>> and 2 conditions apply:
>> - Usage. There are OS which are able to boot from such OS and such
>> configuration isn't considered obscure by them.
>> - Non-confusability. The risk of false positive of this partition config
>> which would prevent normal function is small.
>> If at least one condition is met it's worth considering. If both
>> conditions are met it should be supported.
>
> Ok.  Regarding confusability, I can see potential problems in the
> interpretation of offsets (absolute or relative?), such as for nested
> BSD labels (discussed in another thread).  Do you see other potential
> causes for confusion?
>
>> 2) Support for embedding.
>> Embedding is a potentially dangerous operation so we have to be
>> cautious. Using a dedicated embedding partition if it can be
>> unambiguously identified as such is a sane solution.
>
> Sure.  As discussed on irc, this would require in-depth changes to
> grub-setup, and it's worth another thread...

Whatever you guys implement, as long as it just works, it's
fine with me.

I'm interested in GRUB2 because of its multiboot capability: I need
to boot L4Ka::Pistachio on top of a FreeBSD/UFS2 filesystem.
If it works inside DOS/bsdlabel and GPT partitions, that's ideal.
Of course, if NetBSD partitions are supported too, that would be
even better.

Thanks for the great support so far. ;-)

> Grégoire

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/