grub-devel

Re: grub2 uefi disk cache

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub2 uefi disk cache
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:16:49 +0200

On 06/08/2010 03:24 PM, KESHAV P.R. wrote:
> Is this change needed? I have about 4-5 sec gap between "Welcome to
> GRUB" and the GRUB2 boot menu in UEFI x86_64.

There is no reason for making this platform-specific. I once made a
patch which scales cache in proportion to available free memory.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-03/msg00143.html
That patch increased core size and it wasn't ever proved that it results
in measurable boot time decrease. If you benchmark the patch and provide
the results that patch can be applied.
Also some (U)EFI implementations have a following bug: they take very
long time to read sector if you do too much read in the row. I suppose
it doesn't respect some kind of HD timings and operation request isn't
accepted by hardware and so EFI waits till it timeouts to notice it.
On such EFI implementations, adding grub_millisleep to grub_efidisk_read
makes it work faster