grub-devel

Re: Are BSD partitions not supported?

From: C. P. Ghost
Subject: Re: Are BSD partitions not supported?
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 21:33:58 +0200

2010/5/18 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:
> C. P. Ghost wrote:
>> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:24 PM, C. P. Ghost <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> is support for BSD partitions (or maybe ufs2) broken in grub2 (1.98)?
>>>

>> No replies so far? Could a developer *please* have a closer look
>> at this?
>>

> Your mail is quite long and looks like a tech support request. If it is
> such it's not right mailing list. Use address@hidden or IRC. If it's
> a bug report please supply an image file which triggers bug.
> BSD partitions are supported as long as part_msdos and part_bsd (not
> necessary in release) are loaded.

(2nd try, mailer swallowed the attachment)

Thank you for replying.

Of course, it is a bug report. The steps to create the image are
very detailed and should be enough to reproduce the bug on a
FreeBSD/amd64 system.

Here's a 362k 7z-compressed image of a 25MB disk
that contains one slice 's1' with a BSD partition 'a' and
a UFS2 filesystem on it:

http://www.cordula.ws/tempdir/bsddisk.7z

Don't expect it to boot, because grub-install wasn't able
to complete the task (grub-probe failed as in the long mail).
The file system contains the /boot/grub/* files though: those
were properly installed by grub-install. Just not the MBR.

If I can provide more help, please do ask. :)

Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/