grub-devel

Re: Using efi image on USB stick

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: Using efi image on USB stick
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 13:54:14 +0100

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 02:44:09PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/UEFI :
> "Many BIOS implementations, ... do not correctly
>  handle the multiple El-Torito boot blocks"
>
> El Torito specs (of 1995) talk of "BIOS with
> Single Boot-Image capability" in contrast to
> "BIOS with Multiple Boot-Image capability".
> I interpret the following statement as a
> prescription that single-boot BIOSes shall ignore
> further boot images:
> "Single-Image INT 19 knows nothing about
>  multiple-images, nor does it know about their
>  possible entries listed in the Booting Catalog."

I agree with you on the theory, but as we know the world is full of
buggy BIOSes and it's often hard for users to deal with this when
they're at the level of their rescue CD not working.  I was just
wondering if you had any more practical information.

> > I guess all we can do is test ...
>
> Maybe one should publish a little test image
> which is alread yknown to work on some systems.
> (I could test with a 64 bit AMD quadcore and an
>  old 32 bit AMD of 2004.)

Yes - I was planning to do this at some point as well.  I need to get
round to upgrading xorriso first.