grub-devel

Re: Using efi image on USB stick

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: Using efi image on USB stick
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:12:17 +0100

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:48:12PM +0200, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> Thanks to Seth Goldberg's and Jordan Uggla's testing it was discovered
> how to make same iso bootable on EFI as both cdrom and usb stick. For
> this it's needed in addition to el-torito to add a partition table with
> a partition type 0xef pointing to the EFI image.

I ran across http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/UEFI the
other day, which says that a number of BIOSes fail to handle multiple El
Torito boot images correctly.  You seem to be taking a somewhat
different approach; does it avoid this problem?  I don't know how well
BIOSes handle MBR partition tables on CD-ROMs.