grub-devel

Using GRUB2 to access/change GRUB legacy partitions

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: Using GRUB2 to access/change GRUB legacy partitions
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 15:18:15 +1000

People,

I have a Gateway LT30 netbook that I am using for on the road that does everything I want:

- WiFi

- Broadband Wireless

with Fedora 13 - except:

- sound input is a problem (maybe it is a faulty microphone but I am not sure

- F13 is a bit slow on this little computer

so I have been checking out LOTS of the other distros. F13 uses GRUB legacy. Most of the other distros have a problem either installing or actually running and some use GRUB2. GRUB2 imports all the setup stuff I have for GRUB legacy on F13 (/dev/sda1) but if I want to simply delete the new distro from it's partition and go back to F13 with GRUB legacy, I have to boot on an F13 Live CD and run GRUB from a shell to reset the system to boot from the /dev/sda1 (hd0,0) partition. After doing this a lot I am wondering if there isn't an easier way of doing it? Shouldn't I be able to restore the original setup from the newly installed distro running GRUB2? (I have Googled and looked through the GRUB mail archives).

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades