grub-devel

Re: Adding support for top grub menu

From: Jarno Suni
Subject: Re: Adding support for top grub menu
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 17:56:29 +0300

2010/5/9 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:

> I don't understand what you're exactly saying but if you install
> os-prober grub will discover other OS in update-grub.

But if you use os-prober, I suppose it finds all kernels installed in
all distributions and makes the grub menu too big. And the
distributions found by os-prober can not update the grub menu, when
they get new kernel.

I want to chainload grubs to make menus more tidy and modular, but
installing the top grub could be more elegant.

The top menu grub partition is independent of the operating system
installed so the menu would continue to exist even if all partitions
of all distributions and other operating systems were reformated; on
the other hand any linux distribution that has grub 2 could be used to
maintain the top grub. My approach uses chainloading grubs, but if I
have understood correctly, installing to boot sector of a partition is
not recommended.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/