grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 for UEFI crashes at startup when we got 8 gigabyte of memory

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: GRUB2 for UEFI crashes at startup when we got 8 gigabyte of memory
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:58:22 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
>> It may be a recent regression because we have a reports of successful
>> boot in such configuration
>> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-05/msg00179.html and
>> neighbour threads).
>> Be sure that grub is compiled with -mcmodel=large. You can also try
>> disable usage of >4GiB memory by adding
>> #define MCMODEL_SMALL
>> to kern/efi/mm.c
>>

> Hm, as far as I can understand, the grub is always compiled with
> mcmodel=large for UEFI

It's checked that gcc supports -mcmodel=large and if it doesn't it
defaults to smaller models and modifes module loader in order to satisfy
the necessary placement requirements. However grub.efi itself is loaded
by EFI and there is no way of informing it where grub should be loaded.
I guess I should remove this hack and just refuse to compile to 64-bit
efi if -mcmodel=large doesn't work.
Also it's possible that flags aren't propagated correctly so please
check that -mcmodel=large is really passed to gcc

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko