grub-devel

Re: xorriso and EFI boot images

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: xorriso and EFI boot images
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:55:24 +0200

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i took a look at grub-mkrescue.in with EFI and
> implemented the EFI-only case in xorriso-0.5.5
> timestamp 2010.04.20.103448:

Thanks, will test it later today.
>   --efi-boot FILE        Set El Torito EFI boot image name and type
>
> Currently -b and --efi-boot override each other.
> Who comes last will win.
> --efi-boot is not yet immune against subsequent
> -boot-info-table. It disables eventual previous
> -boot-info-table, though.
>
> Due to an allergic reaction in libisofs, older
> versions of xorriso are not be able to load
> ISO images with boot catalog signature other than
> 0 ("80x86").

> Next i will have to extend the libisofs model of
> a single boot image to a model that can represent
> an El Torito Multiple Boot-Image configuration.
>

> But i have scruples about the semantics of
> Platform ID which is global to the whole boot
> catalog.
It's not. The value in validation entry applies only to default image.
Section header specifies the platform id of section entry (byte 1 of
section header entry)
> If yes: how do platforms 0x01 (Power PC) and
> 0x02 (Mac) fit in there ?

I wonder how these platform fit in spec at all. AFAIR PowerPC Macs use
HFS(+). Idr seeing any eltorito PPC Mac bootable CDs.

> Development of grub-mkrescue and xorriso:
>
> Since we develop and fulfill new demands of
> grub-mkrescue towards xorriso, we will need a
> way to detect whether the locally installed
> xorriso is able to fulfill them.
>

> I can offer two ways for that:
>
> - xorriso -version
>   reports lines
>     xorriso version   :  0.5.4
>     Version timestamp :  2010.04.19.080001
>   by which one can determine the development
>   state.
>
> - xorriso -as mkisofs -help 2>&1
>   reports available commands.
>   My own test version of grub-mkrescue 1.98 uses
>   this to handle genisoimage, grub-mkisofs and
>   xorriso.
>   This method is also used by my tool scdbackup
>   for using a mkisofs range of 10 years, and a
>   xorriso range of 2 years.

What about checking error status of xorrisofs --foo -o dummy.iso dummy/ ?