grub-devel

Re: how to compile the grub legacy on AMD64

From: Bai Shuwei
Subject: Re: how to compile the grub legacy on AMD64
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:32:39 +0800

On 19 April 2010 17:17, Colin Watson <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 04:06:32PM +0800, Bai Shuwei wrote:
>>     When i compile grub on my AMD64, i get the error for configure
>> command without options.
>
> To save other people's time, you should always quote exact error
> messages rather than paraphrasing them like this.
I paste error bellow. But I want to know whether i can compile the
grub legacy on my system (AMD64-Debian) and generate a grub i can run
on my system.

grub-0.97$ ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

and the log information are listed bellow.
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "GRUB"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "grub"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "0.97"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "GRUB 0.97"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "address@hidden"
| #define PACKAGE "grub"
| #define VERSION "0.97"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2466: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

my system information is
$ uname -a
Linux 2.6.32 #2 SMP Sat Apr 17 23:05:05 CST 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

>> And it is successful when i use the ./configure --host=i386-linux, i
>> use the cross-compile tool. But i get the 32bits binary grub.
>
> Well, that is what the Debian package does too even on amd64, so you're
> in good company.
>
> Leaving out configure options at least ought to get you something that
> basically works - if it doesn't, it's a bug - but the options used by
> your distribution's packaging will generally be better.
>
> Anyway, I don't believe that GRUB Legacy worked on amd64 without
> patches,
Maybe this line is what i want to get. I just want to know "So i want
to know how to compile the grub-v1.0 on my AMD64 to generate grub
command run on my system".  So if some patchs are used for grub legacy
to meet my requirement, i will switch other maillist to get patch. As
dome expert on GRUB, i hope someone know where i can get them. Thanks!
and it certainly doesn't work on modern toolchains without
> patches.  Those patches are in the Debian source package and probably
> elsewhere.
>
>> And the grub2.0 has replace grub1.0 in the apt mirror. I cannot
>> download the grub from source mirror.
>
> Again, detail - several different distributions use apt, so it's only
> meaningful to talk about an apt mirror when you also say what
> distribution you're using.  If it's Debian, then while the grub package
> does now depend on grub-pc (i.e. GRUB 2), you should still find that
> 'apt-get source grub' gets you the source package for GRUB Legacy.  In
> fact, I'm not aware of an apt-using distribution for which this is
> untrue.
I have checked some mirror, but no one has it. Maybe others have it.

> Since this is the development list for GRUB 2 and few people here are
> interested in hacking on GRUB Legacy any more, a different question to
> you: why do you need to use GRUB Legacy rather than GRUB 2?  What could
> we improve so that you can use GRUB 2 instead?
I know few people interest with GRUB legacy. But  I meet the problem
on GRUB Legacy, and I think the mailist can give the answer with the
most probabilities.
If bootloader can meet the requirement, i think we can use it. The
grub legacy can meet my requirement now. Although GRUB 2 is better
than grub legacy, but it's enough for me now. And if i switch to GRUB
2, i have do more job and I don't know much on GRUB 2. But i will
switch to grub 2 in the future ;)