grub-devel

Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:29:06 +0200

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> many thanks for testing xorriso in new
> situations.
>

>> 1) It tries to build even if no iconv is present
>>

> The tests in configure.ac resp. acinclude.m4
> are too lax, obviously. They aim for finding
> out whether one needs -liconv or not. But they
> don't assure that iconv() works.
> I will have to make experiments with a
> non-existing dummy function, as it seems
> impossible to disable iconv() on Linux.

I think what you should check for is iconv.h since this missing header
caused compilation problem. Moreover it covers the case of libiconv w/o
libiconv-devel.

>> 2) I needed to explicitly add LIBS=-liconv to configure depstite
>> configure properly detecting the need of -liconv. In some commands
>> actually -liconv was double: one from configure and another from LIBS
>> but somewhere it's not propagated properly
>>

> This sounds a bit like a bug in autotools.
>
> But in the log you sent, i only find them in
> pairs. Obviously one from LIBS= and one from
>   dnl GNU iconv has no function iconv() but libiconv() and a macro iconv()
>   AC_CHECK_LIB(iconv, libiconv, , )
>
> Are you sure that the lack of -liconv was not
> due to libiconv missing initially ?

You're right it was some leftover in build directory. When I rebuild
from clean untar it worked fine.

>> 3) A ton of warnings.
>>

> The implementation of the isspace() family seems
> not to be liked by the compiler. Shrug.
>
> I found legitimate warnings about putting out
> uid_t and gid_t by printf formatter "%d".
> (Question is whether (int) is a suitable cast
>  in this case.)

/usr/include/sys/cygwin.h:typedef unsigned long __uid32_t;
So you need to use %lu or %lx on cygwin.
> Then there is the intentional warning that no
> MMC system adapter is available for operating
> optical drives directly.
>   libburn/sg.c:42: warning: unused variable INTENTIONAL_COMPILER_WARNING
>   libburn/sg.c:39: warning: unused variable
> This_libburn_will_not_be_able_to_operate_on_real_CD_drives
>
> This does not hamper the GRUB use case. One will
> just need cdrecord for burning the CD, rather
> than letting xorriso do:
>   xorriso -as cdrecord -v dev=... blank=as_needed my_grub.iso

> So mainly the LIBS=-liconv remains as build
> obstacle.
>
> I have changed the iconv detection code in
> configure.ac meanwhile (to care for the "const"
> ambiguity on FreeBSD). A new tarball
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/xorriso-0.5.3.tar.gz
> is uploaded.
>
>   cat xorriso/xorriso_timestamp.h
> should say
>   #define Xorriso_timestamP "2010.04.10.180103"
> or later.
>
> Could you please try it on cygwin without LIBS=
> (but libiconv installed) and send me the log of
> the failing compile run ?

I've tested with previous tarball. I'll retest on both systems with new one.