grub-devel

Re: Multiboot2 Suggestions

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Multiboot2 Suggestions
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 19:27:51 +0200

Bogdan wrote:
> This thread has the right name so I'll just reply here.
>
> 1) The boot loader should calibrate timers that need this. I don't know about
> other architectures, but in x86(-64) systems, these are the RDTSC and the
> LAPIC. Needless to say, this must also be done when such hardware is
> present.

On MIPS bootloader needs to supply CP0 counter frequency. Is it anything
similar on x86?
I don't feel like on x86 this should be mandatory. Usually OS doesn't
expect bootloader to do these steps and it takes booting time.
If there is however a motivation to do this task in bootloader we could
add a tag requestion bootloader to do this step
> 3) On x86-64 systems, the boot loader should be able to boot in long mode.

I'll implement and specify it as soon as I'm finished with newreloc.