grub-devel

Re: [patch] search for partition using GPT GUID

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [patch] search for partition using GPT GUID
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:01:07 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
>> I asked you for at least a usecase when it makes a difference but till
>> now I've read only about theoretical advantages.
>>

> Ok, my usecase is the following:
> We are installing grub to EFI system partition and on the next load it must
> load itself (rmadisk&kernel) from Windows partiton (where our main product is
> installed). It need however to find the NTFS partition with our product, the
> only ways is GPT GUID.
>
> Out of Linux world FS UUID is nothing, our main product works on Windows, and
> the only way to identify the partition correctly - GUID. UEFI spec also use
> GPT GUIDs in it's "device path", same as Windows.
>
> grub2 is not for Linux load only.

I thought about this and decided that it's ok to have this functionality
as long as it's implemented cleanly. In particular:
- It shouldn't be named "GPT GUID" but something like PARTITION GUID. If
partition is GPT then GPT UUIDs are used, if it's msdos then nt-like
UUIDs should be used and so on. You don't have to implement non-GPT but
arcitecture must be clean
- It must not give any size increase of basic modules
- grub-probe must support it (trivial)
- Not used by default