grub-devel

Re: gettext util

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: gettext util
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:48:49 +0200

Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> So my concerns:
> a) It change a common practise (even when it's not the best one).
> Translators expects the way that it has been done until now, and I would
> like that somebody that it's not Grub (small i18n project) starts the
> change

Jordi and Collin said that they are fed up with this "common practice"
> b) Makes the alignment more difficult

Why not just do like

"  -h, --help                %s\n"
"  -V, --version             %s\n"
"  -v, --verbose             %s\n", _("display this message and exit"), _
("print version information and exit"), _("print verbose messages")

We won't translate --help anyway.
> c) Makes the code a bit less clear

Not if you use printf/sprintf templates
> Comment: sadly our grub.po already has someo of these long messages.
> Would you change it and "force" the translators to change? Or have the
> Grub domain with some long strings as short strings?

Another possibility is to change them to short strings when we'll change
this string next time.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko