grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 and software RAID1 = insmod linux

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GRUB2 and software RAID1 = insmod linux
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:00:46 +0100

Just a word to thanks you for your (short but) efficient answer.

Le 26/03/2010 16:52, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko a écrit :
address@hidden wrote:

Hello list,

it's not a devel question, but seems this is a not-so-bad place to
expose my problem. Searching with google and inside this list's
archives didn't gave me any clue.

I want: Debian Lenny + GRUB2 + RAID1 on boot+root partition

With GRUB legacy I do:
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
setup (hd1)
and everything works fine. I can boot nearly in every cases (inverted
disks, disconnect disk, and some other weird things). Nice.

With GRUB 2 I do:
grub-install /dev/sda    # from the right /dev/md0 partition
and when I reboot I have "error: cannot find C/H/S values".
I just type "insmod linux" then "normal" then wizzzzz the system is
loaded correctly.
I tested with GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="linux" in /etc/default/grub then
update-grub but this didn't corrected the problem (obvious for me, but
I may be wrong, so I tested).

note: I tested with GRUB2 1.96 and 1.97 from the Debian Lenny regular
repository and backport.

This problem was fixed in 1.98

My question: how can I explain to GRUB2 I don't want to type "insmod
linux" and "normal" ?

The next step will be to install GRUB2 on both disks to allow booting
from either one.

And my final step will be to write a small GRUB2-RAID howto nicely
fited for GRUB2's wiki. Because hey, sparse documentation  :-)