grub-devel

Re: gettext util

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: gettext util
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:54:16 +0000

Hello,

On Mar/26/2010, Vladimir '??-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Last January I asked for ok to commit this to trunk:
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2010-01/msg00373.html
> >
> > I've redone the patch (some offsets, Changelog, I removed the
> > translation of two lines talking about glyphs that we said that was not
> > needed I think). See the attached patch.
> >
> > Do I commit?
> >
> According to gettext manual usage messages must be internationalised on
> per-option basis to allow reuse of e.g. --help desciption and to avoid
> the whole big message to be marked as fuzzy if only one option changes.

I'm surprised, specially because if I get the gettext project as a
reference:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gettext.git/tree/gettext-runtime/src/gettext.c?id=c81a5234a673f6fbc0f8b7ea8f18ef73021b0a2e#n252

They are not doing. Other projects that I can remember where my LUG has
done things (e.g. tar) is not done in this way.

I don't have any probem to change in Grub, I just wonder if people is
expecting it :-/

I'm adding Jordi Mallach to the CC

> Another problem is unclear or ayabtu sentences. "Not enough pathname" is
> surely one of them. Can a native English speaker review this part?

I'll try to review it. Have you spotted some other one?

Cheers,

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info