grub-devel

Re: save default working with Grub 1.98 ?

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: save default working with Grub 1.98 ?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:01:08 +0000

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:37:31AM +0100, Frédéric Boiteux wrote:
>   I installed last year Grub2 from Debian 'experimental' repository to
> get « default=saved » feature, it worked well, and recently I updated it
> to 1.98 release (from official « unstable » repository), and now I get
> a strange behaviour :
> the menu always preselects the entry saved with old Grub2 version, but
> if I choose another one, the new entry isn't saved.
>
> Does it means that Grub2 1.98 doesn't support yet entry saving ? or
> should I look at my conf more carefully for a misconfiguration ?

1.98 only saves the selected entry as the default if you also have
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true.  In other words, there are two separate controls:

  GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    use saved entry as the default
  GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
    save entry as default when selected

The reason for the separation is that this means that you can use
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved on its own so that grub-reboot and grub-set-default
work, but without having the default changing merely because you
selected a different entry interactively.  This wasn't extensively
documented because both these controls were new in 1.98, so it only
affected upgrades from experimental versions (well, and the backport in
Ubuntu 9.10).

Regards,