grub-devel

Re: how to get started with developing grub2

From: Richard Retanubun
Subject: Re: how to get started with developing grub2
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:18:14 -0500

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
1) First of all use the latest version. Either BZR trunk or BZR
experimental branch:
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/trunk/grub/ and
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/branches/experimental/
In your case 'clear' command is already in since a long time.
2) Then speak before you do. It's quite possible that what you want is
done with something else or by somebody else.
3) Get to develop when feature you proposed is considered good
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the response,

Sorry if I am not being clear, I am using the clear command patch as
a starting point/example to figure out how to port commands from grub1 to grub2,
I don't actually need the command :)

The commands I am adding is very specific to our board and does not apply to
general PCs
so I didn't bother wasting people's time with it.

Anyhow, In case there are people following this thread, this is a solution I
found (I think from a Gentoo webpage)

Howto rebuild Grub2 and reinstall it in chainload mode with Grub1
1. Assuming your system boot with grub1 chainloading grub2 to your main os (I
used debian-linux).
2. Get the grub source package on your target (I placed mine in /usr/local/src)
3. Get any build tools that you need (for debian you can use
dpkg-checkbuilddeps for this)
4. run 'configure' and 'make' and then 'make install' (make install places the
compiled stuff in /usr/local)

FROM [/usr/local/sbin]
6. run "grub-install --grub-setup=/bin/true /dev/hda" (the
[--grub-setup=/bin/true] prevents it from being loaded into MBR and [/dev/hda] is your
disk)
7. run update-grub to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg from the files in /usr/local/

8. check that /boot/grub contains new files
9. reboot, If you like the results run the update-grub-from-legacy to make it
permanent

Question
--------
I may be using it wrong, but the "grub-install --grub-setup=/bin/true /dev/hda"
step only worked once
subsequent changes are not (re)installed and sometimes it reverts back to the
unmodified grub2.
Is anyone seeing this as well?? Sorry if it sounds crazy, I didn't test it very
much.

Thanks for the time.

- Richard