grub-devel

Re: how to get started with developing grub2

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: how to get started with developing grub2
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 19:27:18 +0100

Richard Retanubun wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am getting started with developing grub2 (v1.96 from debian stable)
> to port some grub1 custom modifications
> that was done on the existing products and well, I'm a bit lost.
>
> I followed this patch thread to learn how to add a new command
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-04/msg00152.html
>
> So I ported that patch to v1.96 and run configure, make and make
> install (and got stuff in /usr/local)
>
> then I go to /usr/local/bin and run grub-mkimage -o mycore.img (it it
> supposed to make a new /boot/grub/core.img?)
> then I noticed the size of the binary is smaller (/boot/grub/core.img
> is 24275; mine is 18242)
>
> So what am I missing and how can I install my custom grub2 with the
> new/custom modules on top of
> my existing grub2 (still chainloading from grub1)
>
> Apologies if this has been asked before, can't seem to find it in the
> mailing list.
> If there is any docs written on these topics somewhere, kindly point
> me to it.

1) First of all use the latest version. Either BZR trunk or BZR
experimental branch:
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/trunk/grub/ and
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/branches/experimental/
In your case 'clear' command is already in since a long time.
2) Then speak before you do. It's quite possible that what you want is
done with something else or by somebody else.
3) Get to develop when feature you proposed is considered good