grub-devel

What's the point of allocating the protected mode code on 0x100000 only

From: George Buranov
Subject: What's the point of allocating the protected mode code on 0x100000 only (UEFI)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:40:42 +0300

Hello,

I just found another computer with working UEFI (I was testing on UEFI simulation) and just found that the kernel load does not work. I found out that the problem is in code

  /* Next, find free pages for the protected mode code.  */
  /* XXX what happens if anything is using this address?  */
  prot_mode_mem = grub_efi_allocate_pages (0x100000, prot_mode_pages + 1);
  if (! prot_mode_mem)
    {
      grub_error (GRUB_ERR_OUT_OF_MEMORY,
          "cannot allocate protected mode pages");
      goto fail;
    }

This function return with false for me. I am continuing investigation, but maybe you know the reason why the allocation is on this special address? Can we change it?

Regards,
Georgy