grub-devel

Re: Antialiased fonts patch.

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: Antialiased fonts patch.
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 01:20:20 -0600

Evgeny Kolesnikov wrote:

If we really care about speed we should use 1-bit fonts. Nothing can be
faster. And 1-bit fonts will stay here.

But if we care about eye-candy view, we should not throw away any bits
from FT library result. This will not be fast enough to replace 1-bit
fonts, and it will differ from other desktop apps. So, what the profit?

You also may concern about font size itsef (15-30 Mb for sub-pixel AA),
but who really care about it when 1 Tb HDD costs less than 100$? Also we
can gzip entire font file later if it will really be the problem.

Actually I don't understand why AA fonts are needed for a screen that most users will look at for about 3 seconds to select their OS and boot.

I suspect most distros will set up grub to skip the GRUB screen completely.

Is the effort worth the cost? I suppose doing it 'because you can' or because someone is 'scratching and itch' is OK, but I don't think it should be a major consideration.

  -- Bruce