grub-devel

Re: Re: Search GPT partition in GRUB

From: gburanov
Subject: Re: Re: Search GPT partition in GRUB
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 02:27:55 -0500

-- Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote :
Colin Watson wrote:
>> It would be ideal if we can search the GPT partition/disk by GUID -
>> that's what we got NTFS GUID for =)
>>

> That would be nice, and it might not be all that difficult to implement,
> but of course it would take up extra precious space in the core image.
> I don't think it's really necessary in this case.
>

> Implementing it isn't difficult but it's confusing to have two types of
> UUIDs. I'm not sure we need GPT UUIDs. grub-mkconfig will continue to
> use  filesystem UUIDs, so GPT UUIDs will only be used in maual
> configuration. But in the latter case it's much easier to use filesystem
> labels when writing configuration manually. Probability of collision
> with n-partitions and k bits is lower than
> n^2*2^(-k-1)
> Even with 1024 partitions and 32-bit IDs it's under 1 over 8192.
> Fell free to detail usage cases when my logic is wrong (e.g. disk
> configuration, who writes config, external factors and so on)

As I said already (see upper), NTFS volume serial number (that's really UUID in
NTFS) is not really unique, so that's not a good way of identification.

--
Regards

This message was sent on behalf of address@hidden at openSubscriber.com
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/address@hidden/13383952.html