grub-devel

Re: Build GRUB for UEFI (not EFI), 64 bit

From: Arne Schwabe
Subject: Re: Build GRUB for UEFI (not EFI), 64 bit
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 14:54:00 +0100

Am 01.02.10 08:00, schrieb address@hidden:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I am currently trying to build grub for UEFI (I got new modern Intel
> motherboard that support boot loading).

I am curios which one. I have a DP55WG and I did not get UEFI + Linux
working. UEFI + Windows 7 on the other hand works fine. The EFI Shell
also works fine.
> According to the grub manual, I use
>
> ./configure --with-platform=efi --target=x86_64
> make
> ./grub-mkimage -d- -o bootx64.efi modules_list
>
> and try to load from it. it does not work! The computer just restarts when
> running it, in the beginning.

That happens for me with elilo. Grub2 lilo just says that relocating is
not supported (or something similar)
> However, the grub that is included to the Fedora 12 CD works just fine.

Which is a patched grub 0.97. On my computer it just hangs and does not
nothing.
> Do somebody succeed in compiling grub for UEFI (not just EFI)? What can be a
> problem?

I had not success either.

Arne