grub-devel

Grub2 on UEFI

From: Georgy Buranov
Subject: Grub2 on UEFI
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:26:50 +0300

Hello all.

I am now researching GRUB2 working on UEFI and I can't figure out even basic things. There is not much documentation in Wiki, so any help is appreciated.

Note: My UEFI implementation is on 64bit Intel Motherboard, so it differs from Apple's EFI

The basic questions are:

·         What about chainloading in grub2? Does it support loading another EFI loader? Particularly, I want to load Windows Boot Manager (in term of EFI that's EFI file) from GRUB?

·         What about  device names in grub2 for EFI? The problem  is that old device names were based on BIOS device names, and it seems that in EFI it's not the same. For example, what disk is hd0?

·         If it possible to exit grub with EFI ERROR to process loading the next loader?

There are actually much more questions than that so if anyone was working with EFI, it would be great

Regards,

Georgy