grub-devel

Re: Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look

From: Wesley Smith
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look in a separate partition for core.img?
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:54:13 +0000 (UTC)

Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not a core GRUB developer, but how would you do it?  Let's see, you
> have 512 bytes minus some space for the partition table.  You want to
> access the file system in the space.  Lets see, is that fat, ext,
> reiser, jfs, xfs, ntfs, lvm, raid, or something else?  Do you want a
> splash screen with that?  Somebody will.  Are you booting over a serial
> line? A network card?  Do you want that for linux, one of the bsd's,
> windows, solaris, or beos?  Is that for intel, sparc, or powerpc?

Yes, I think I see your point, Bruce, but I am still not convinced that what I
am describing is infeasible. If you can create a bootable partition with a PBR
that knows how to find and assemble its core.img from the same partition, you
could conceivably create an MBR that just loads and hands off control to that
partition's PBR.

Anyway, I have a solution now that is close enough and still indirectly lets me
use Grub2, so I guess I am satisfied.

Thank you to all who replied.