grub-devel

Re: Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look in a separate partition for core.img?
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:19:12 -0600

Wesley Smith wrote:

It would be nice if Grub2 could both make a partition bootable and also install
an MBR that relied on that partition (rather than the embedded core.img). I
know this is "dangerous," but it is necessary sometimes, and it was not at all
difficult to accomplish with legacy Grub.

I'm not a core GRUB developer, but how would you do it? Let's see, you have 512 bytes minus some space for the partition table. You want to access the file system in the space. Lets see, is that fat, ext, reiser, jfs, xfs, ntfs, lvm, raid, or something else? Do you want a splash screen with that? Somebody will. Are you booting over a serial line? A network card? Do you want that for linux, one of the bsd's, windows, solaris, or beos? Is that for intel, sparc, or powerpc?

Remember, you have about 448 bytes...

  -- Bruce