grub-devel

PXE directory listing incorrectly reported as "success"

From: Robert Millan
Subject: PXE directory listing incorrectly reported as "success"
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:08:18 +0100

Hi,

It appears that directory listing isn't supported by TFTP protocol (so
says our wiki).

Our pxe.c implements grub_pxefs_dir() as a dummy stub that returns
GRUB_ERR_NONE.  This is obviously wrong, as it prevents the user from
noticing that there was a problem, and silently reports an "empty"
directory.  Instead, it should call grub_error ().

Unfortunately, kern/fs.c relies on grub_pxefs_dir() returning
GRUB_ERR_NONE in order to consider probing to be succesful.  If pxe
returned an error, it wouldn't be considered a valid filesystem by
the kernel.

So I'm wondering, what would be a good solution to this?  We could add
a proper probe() function and switch all filesystems to it, but only
for the benefit of pxe it seems a bit overkill.

Does someone have a better idea?

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi