grub-devel

Re: On gratuitous modularization

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: On gratuitous modularization
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:54:00 +0100

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:13:11PM +0100, Christian Franke wrote:

> The module ata_pthru.mod exists only to keep ata.mod small, see:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-02/msg00091.html

I see.  Thanks for pointing this out.

> Keeping the ata.mod specific pass-through function separate from
> hdparm.mod was intentional. Merging this function into hdparm.mod would
> only make sense if ata.mod will the only ATA access module with
> pass-through functionality in the future.

Note that linking ata_pthru.c into hdparm.mod doesn't prevent this code from
being linked into other modules if/when the need arises.

But right now, it's only used by hdparm.  I see little justification in
having a separate module in this situation.  I'm inclined to merge it.

> BTW: I agree that using a global function pointer
> 'grub_disk_ata_pass_through' is a hack. A cleaner design would be
> possible with a grub_disk_dev.ioctl(.) call.

The problem I see with 'grub_disk_ata_pass_through' is that it shouldn't be
in kernel.  The interface itself is less relevant IMO.

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi