grub-devel

Re: [multiboot] command-line format

From: Grégoire Sutre
Subject: Re: [multiboot] command-line format
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:19:27 +0100

Hi Robert,

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 01:39:48PM -0600, address@hidden wrote:
I think a bootloader with "universal" in its name should be doing
everything possible to avoid this.  If I want to multiboot between
Linux, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, and OpenBSD, do I load my MBR with the BSD
fork of GRUB, the Linux fork of GRUB, or the Solaris fork of GRUB?

It doesn't matter, because whichever version of GRUB you use should
generate a grub.cfg that uses multiboot command with appropiate
parameters.

According to my little experience, I believe that GRUB should not rely too much on an automatic generation of a correct grub.cfg. This requires an os-prober command that (1) is available on the system installing GRUB, which is not always the case, and (2) can detect other installed Oses correctly, which is not always the case as well.

What if I want to install GRUB to some removable drive or floppy disk for the purpose of rescuing systems with a damaged MBR? You cannot hope to generate a grub.cfg that will universally work, so in that case you must use the GRUB shell.

As you mentionned in a previous email, it is important to keep the GRUB shell user-friendly. Requiring users to duplicate the first argument of multiboot commands is not my idea of user-friendliness. But I agree that it works.

Grégoire