grub-devel

Re: keyboard layout patches

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: keyboard layout patches
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:25:37 +0000

Hi,

On Jan/18/2010, Vladimir '??-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> > Actually if prefix (that it's a variable) is "/" then args[0] acts as a
> > filename.  Would be like "///test/filename" and it's a valid directory.
> >

> Perhaps we should remove prefix variables altogether.

I understand that you mean that the user would type:

load_keyboard /boot/grub/layouts/es
right? (in the shell or the config file)

Comments on this?

(I don't like it, I would even prefer to have the prefix hardcoded or
like it's now)

> >> Can you think of a way to restoring keyboard map to English?
> >>

> > unloading the module restores the original keyboard (so, English one). I
> > save
> > the original one when the module is loaded.
> >

> I mean imagine that you're in a face to a grub with klingon keyboard
> how would you find your way out?

Klingon is my primary layout! :-)

I have different things to say and we could discuss quite long, but
let's jump to the ideas:

a) very short term: what about to register a command to "something"
(like "1234", numbers doesn't usually change between keyboard, right? or
"**" for the keypad -I should check that it works, but would fix if it
doesn't) that reverts to English?

b) medium term: as you suggested some days ago on IRC: Shift+Shift, or
Ctrl+Shift or something like this reverts to English.

I'm not sure about the infrastructure needed for b)

> Also keyboard_layouts is pretty small. Perhaps we can just make
> *_keyboard depend on it and put US keyboard into it as default and shave
> some complexity this way

How it would work in rescue mode and at_keyboard? I mean, extreme cases
that Grub for some reason could not reach the keyboard layout file.

The complexitity that we save is very reduced.

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info