grub-devel

Re: keyboard layout patches

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: keyboard layout patches
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:00:22 +0100

Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I answer in fast way... more at evening. Items that I don't comment I
> understand and agree.
>
> On Jan/18/2010, Vladimir '??-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>

>>> How could grub-mkinstall (00_header.in) know the current keyboard in the
>>> system?
>>>
>> setxkbmap -print will give you the x layout but it won't work outside of X.
>>
>>> I wold tweak 00_header.in to generate the keymap file and setup
>>> it.
>>>

>> It may be executed by a daemon with no X available.
>>

> I'll use Felix suggestion: do whatever is in /etc/grub/default
>

>> +  filename =
>> +    grub_malloc (grub_strlen (prefix) + grub_strlen ("/") +
>> +             grub_strlen (args[0]) + 1);
>> Can you add support for complete filenames?
>>

> do you mean that, for example, if args[0] starts by "/" then filename =
> args[0]?
>
> Actually if prefix (that it's a variable) is "/" then args[0] acts as a
> filename.  Would be like "///test/filename" and it's a valid directory.

Perhaps we should remove prefix variables altogether.
>> Can you think of a way to restoring keyboard map to English?
>>

> unloading the module restores the original keyboard (so, English one). I save
> the original one when the module is loaded.

I mean imagine that you're in a face to a grub with klingon keyboard how
would you find your way out?

Also keyboard_layouts is pretty small. Perhaps we can just make
*_keyboard depend on it and put US keyboard into it as default and shave
some complexity this way

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko