grub-devel

Re: Trouble booting from a large USB hard drive

From: Grégoire Sutre
Subject: Re: Trouble booting from a large USB hard drive
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 02:21:50 +0100

Daniel Richard G. wrote:

Knowing that Windows would only mount the first partition when the drive was plugged in

Does this only apply to external hard drives? I've always put Linux as my first partition on my single hard drive without any problem (now it's with XP, but AFAIR also with 98SE before). I mean first partition both ``logically'' and ``physically'', e.g. what I have now is:

/dev/sda1   *           1        2611    20972826   83  Linux
/dev/sda2            2612        4569    15727635    7  HPFS/NTFS

And if I remember right, the Windows installer (booting from a windows install CD) had the bad habit of renumbering the primary partitions if their logical order was not consistent with their physical order. At least it did it once, and I've never played with out-of-order partition tables since ;-)

Grégoire