grub-devel

Re: Trouble booting from a large USB hard drive

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: Trouble booting from a large USB hard drive
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:36:35 -0500

Daniel Richard G. wrote:
What all but confirmed it for me was an ingenious solution I saw posted somewhere: an out-of-order partition table. Put the Linux partitions first on

I accidentally have an out-of-order partition table and I was surprised that such a thing is possible (vs. that everything gets automatically numbered in order). Nevertheless, it is a useful feature, though not obvious how to control with 'gparted' and the like. "extended partitions" probably add a bit of complication too.

With all that said, I don't consider this to be a bug in GRUB, and this is not meant to be taken as a bug report. (I presume grub-pc can't work around such limitations in the BIOS, because there isn't enough room in the MBR to stuff in a disk-reading library that makes BIOS disk calls unnecessary.) Rather, I think it is a corner case of which users should be aware---and perhaps GRUB and/or the Ubuntu installer could do a better job of warning the user

if grub-install, which doesn't have code space limitations, could possibly check for it, it would be a great help. But is it possible for a running system to check the BIOS like that? (or possible for grub to check somehow on a non-running system in a safe testing sort of manner?)