grub-devel

Re: keyboard layouts

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: keyboard layouts
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:23:41 +0100

Yves Blusseau wrote:
> Hi
>
> Le 12/01/2010 22:47, Carles Pina i Estany a écrit :
>> Plan:
>> - Use the X11 layouts that usually are in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols .
>> - Create a new module that reads the layout from an environtment
>> variable.
>>
>> * Approach 1
>> The module will load the layout from /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/XX
>> replacing the array map that currently exists in
>> term/i386/pc/at_keyboard.c
>>

> But where are this X11 keyboard layouts in non linux platform
> (windows, Mac OSX, etc...) ?
X11 is freely distribuable so there is no reason not to rely on them.
Even if some platforms use other formats (XML-like OSX' .keylayout, or
"ultra-portable" and "readable" windows' .dll) there shouldn't be any
problem installing XKB layouts as optional GRUB2 prerequisite.
On another note we support windows and OSX as long as they don't force
us taking bad decisions or slow thedeveloppement