grub-devel

Re: GRUB Faq

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GRUB Faq
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 16:12:11 -0600

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:08:28AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I've been working on grub.texi and I notice a reference to
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.html.  I will change that to
>> grub-2-faq.en.html before I submit it.
>
> Actually, I'd rather ditch the old FAQ and replace it completely.
>
> In general, references to "GRUB 2" need to disappear from the website, wiki
> and documentation.  Now that GRUB Legacy is completely obsolete it's not
> necessary to make the distinction in most contexts.

Development may have ended, but as long as there is a single boot
device supported by GRUB legacy and not GRUB 2 (whether certain RAID
flavors, floppies, filesystems with small embedding area, etc) legacy
isn't obsolete.  And given the number of users who still have it
installed, I suggest that removing documentation for legacy is a
mistake.

Consider either:
(1) Moving the old FAQ to a new URL, and putting a link on the top of
the new FAQ.
or
(2) Adding a link to the GRUB 2 FAQ prominently on top of the GRUB
Legacy FAQ, which stays where it is.

The second option is probably better since there are anchors in the
page, allowing links from outside to specific parts of the page.
Replacing the page will break all such links.