grub-devel

Re: Invalid symbol table on NetBSD boot

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Invalid symbol table on NetBSD boot
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 22:35:37 +0100

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 01:44:25AM +0100, Grégoire Sutre wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
>
>> I suggest you test if GRUB Legacy's Multiboot loader supports this
>> properly, as the code I used derives from that.
>
> Yes, the problem disappears with GRUB Legacy's multiboot.  Moreover, I
> noticed another issue: the command line is stripped (first word missing)
> with GRUB 2's multiboot. Here are the logs.  After setting the root
> variable appropriately, I get:
>
> --- With GRUB Legacy ---------------------------------------------------
> grub> kernel /netbsd.generic -z root=wd0a
> [...]
> --- With GRUB 2 -------------------------------------------------------
> grub> multiboot /netbsd.generic -z root=wd0a

There was an intentional backward-incompatible (but still compatible with
the specification) change.  The equivalent command on GRUB 2 would be:

grub> multiboot /netbsd.generic /netbsd.generic -z root=wd0a

First argument is the file being open;  in GRUB Legacy it's implicitly also
the first arg passed to payload, which is less flexible than letting user
specify it.  It doesn't have to be the filename at all, and usually the
payload doesn't need this information.

I'm not sure if this explains your missing word problem, but it sounds like
it could be related.

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi