grub-devel

Re: GRUB update problems

From: Henry W. Peters
Subject: Re: GRUB update problems
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:26:24 -0500

*
Henry W. Peters wrote:
*
Robert Millan wrote:
In principle, the right list for obtaining help with GRUB would be
help-grub.

But in practice, I'm not sure if there will be people there who can
provide user assistance.  Therefore user questions are tollerated in
grub-devel.

I'd really like to make help-grub the user support forum, but since I don't have more time to volunteer myself, I'm not sure how to make this happen.

FWIW, if anyone who reads this is willing to help the GRUB project by
watching help-grub and helping with user requests there, he/she's more
than welcome to do that.

Hi Robert (& any one willing & or able to try & help here, in some way),

I do appreciate your response. I did a search & found the grub-help list, I signed up, & now know (at least) probably not much help there.

Perhaps the simplest request, since I tried reinstalling it, then uninstalled grub2 (& grub), tried lilo, then installing (I think) legacy grub (this thru synaptic p.m.), & I just read (a portion) of the grub manual... & do believe I got, previously, some possibly dangerous advise previously on grub-dev list (grub-install), but in any case, if I just knew where to find relatively clear information on how to configure (or whatever needs to be done to connect a fresh install of grub (or grub2) with the kernel, & or whatever is necessary), considering I am booted from a disk (pmagic), which uses grub2, v. 0.97-os.1, into my OS, Debian Lenny, sid/squeeze, kernel 2.6.32, this might be of some help. In a *cursory* look thru the grub manual, I couldn't find this.

& by the way, this version of grub allows my monitor to work in correct resolution, with out problems (trying to fix this, was original cause of my problem/s here, apparently, the startup-manager would not connect its parameters with grub). I think the version of grub2 that got 'upgraded' was v. 0.973-alpha (alas,not really sure of this, in any case, it was the latest upgrade just several days ago).

Hoping this make enough sense to possibly advise a trail toward resolution.

Henry

I found the below (though modified to fit my drive) in a linux forum, I figured (correctly!) since Ubuntu is Debian based, it might be relevant to my problem & of some help... I not only got GRUB2 back (v. 1.98~20100101-1), but my monitor is functioning properly as well. Thanks for the PATIENCE on this list. Learning in the dark ain't always so neat & clean.

Henry
P.s., though I incorrectly called it 'pmagic', it actually is called 'Parted Magic' http://partedmagic.com/download.html & for any Debian Lenny operators out there, I'm highly recommending!

http://ubuntulinuxhowtos.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-reinstall-grub-2-after.html

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How to reinstall Grub 2 after reinstalling Windows XP/Vista/Win7
Now grub is updated to grub 2,after a long period of "no development" in grub code. The issue is grub 2 is totally different from its predecessor. menu.lst doesnt even exist. It is replaced by grub.cfg which have little resemblance with menu.lst which makes things a liitle difficult.

Now with the release of Windows 7,most people must be upgrading their old windows.This results in loosing grub. The method to restore grub 2 is entirely different from reinstalling old grub,so dont attempt old methods (even Auto Super Grub Disk software wont work)

Insert ubuntu 9.10 karmic live cd

Select "Try ubuntu without any change to current system" option

Open Accessories >terminal

Type:
sudo fdisk -l

This command will list all partions in hard disk
find the partion ,in my case it is sda3

sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo chroot /mnt
update-grub
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
sudo umount /mnt/dev
sudo umount /mnt

Now reboot, you will find that grub only contain ubuntu
Dont panic!!! we are not yet done

Boot to ubuntu
Open Accessories >terminal
Type:

sudo update-grub

Now reboot
You will now have the update grub2!!!!!!!
Posted by mrcet007 at 7:09 AM