grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:36:25 -0600

Felix Zielcke wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 07.01.2010, 23:27 -0600 schrieb Bruce Dubbs:

OK, I didn't realize set root was capable of using UUIDs. I did know that the two root entries were different. I got that mixed up with the search command combined with the root=UUID=... which I think needs
initrd.

Do I have it right now?

set root only supports plain GRUB devices.
search --set sets $root (for GRUB, not for Linux) to the first device
found with that UUID, LABEL or file. Depending on the other argument to
search command.

Should 'set root' be renamed to 'set grubroot'?  I think something
like that would prevent some confusion.

I don't get why there's a confusion at all.
It should be clear that the value specified with the linux command is
for it and not for GRUB.

It's not confusing if you've been around GRUB for a while, but it is confusing for new users. The term 'root' is overloaded and only distinguished by context. The two contexts do have similar meanings so the differences are really fairly subtle.

  -- Bruce