grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 22:33:09 +0000

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:18:37PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
>>> You mean literally with the parentheses? I don't understand, since /dev/
>>> names will be unintelligible to GRUB when running outside an operating
>>> system.
>>
>> Yes.  This just means we'd have "set root=(/dev/foo)" statements in grub.cfg,
>> but those are just meant as a backward compatibility hack for pre-UUID GRUB
>> installs.
>
> Are you are implying that UUID will be the only way?  I don't use
> initrd's on my systems so I need root=(hd0,x) or root=(/dev/foo).
> AFAIK initrd is the only way to load with UUIDs.

I think you're mixing up two different things. There are two 'root'
variables involved:

  1) GRUB's 'root' variable, its base for filesystem operations
  2) The root= parameter passed to the Linux kernel, which identifies
     the desired root filesystem

Robert is talking about 1), but whether you use an initrd/initramfs is
only relevant to 2).