grub-devel

error message

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: error message
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 23:23:11 +0000

Hello,

Last part to add gettext support is loader/*. Specially some grub_error
messages, since some of them appears to the standard user. I thought to
translate the common ones only, but it's a bit difficult to know the
"common ones". Then the appraoch is to add gettext support to all
grub_error messages in loader/* (see the attached patch for reference).

The strings are not very uniform. One option would be to try to make
the strings from grub_error a bit more standard. One suggestion would
be:

* use an enum with all strings inside. So when we write a grub_error we
will pick up one of them. We could have grub_error and grub_error_enum
(so we don't loose the capacity to write other strings but we
discourage).

* also print the filename, line number from where the error has
happened. So when a user comes and says "Grub says no filename
specified" we would have some more information.

(any problem to use the gcc macros to know the filename/line number? I
remember something and I cannot find it now)

Any other ideas?

The goals are two, and a bit contradictory at first glance:
a) Have less strings
b) Have more precise error messages

--
Carles Pina i Estany